After setting up my wordpress blog from scratch and crossing all the initial hurdles, it was time to look around for a good theme that suits my intended layout. A quick browse of the themes site showed many good designs. I tried about eight of them, and decided to use the Xmark design for now. I played around with the widgets until I got the set that I needed and laid them out according to my theme.
The next step was to figure out how to place ads. Google AdSense was easy to sign up for and get going with some simple scheme to start with. Very soon, I learnt how to pick the most suitable sizes of content boxes, referral boxes and the seach boxes. The color palette setup is also quite intuitive and creating one that matches my overall theme was not that hard.
I have been experimenting with AdSense for about a day now, and I have a layout that seems to go well with my page.